CASE 143- STRAY KIDS REYVIEW


Case 143 - Stray Kids


Stray Kids is an eight-member group comprising of Bang Chan, Lee Know, Changbin, Hyunjin, Han Jisung, Felix, Seungmin, and I.N. under JYP entertainment.

They are back with another song, but this time it's a love song. It's not a regular ballad like you would expect a love song to be, but an upbeat hip-hop track. The 143 in the title track means 'I love you' and I found that cute and brilliant at the same time. Stray Kids' music is usually a hit or a miss for me; no in-betweens. They usually make "noise" music, which is loud and jarring of sorts, and I sometimes get a headache listening to their songs but most of their songs make it to my playlists.

First Listening Experience

I found the song very interesting from the first note, and that feeling of intrigue never left as the song progressed. The music video was unique and the song felt very in touch with the concept that they went for, and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked their comeback this time round.

The Music

MAXIDENT Album Art
Image from Spotify 
I now find this song a bit too loud sometimes but it still makes me groove. The instrumentation is loud and upbeat and is an energizer of sorts that wakes me up on dull tiring mornings. Right before the chorus starts there's a sharp high note followed by Felix's deep voice and this descent into his low voice from that high note makes me feel some type of way. The rap is one of my all time favorites from Stray Kids as it is so powerful and energetic, yet playful and childlike and I cannot help but rap alongside them.
The last chorus is the best part of the song no doubt with an added layer of staccato on the already melodic chorus making this chorus feel fuller and hit harder.
Favorite B-Side: Chill

The Video

Breaking the fourth wall v1
Image via Tumpik

The video was a vivid jumble of various elements but somehow was able to maintain a cohesive story line throughout. The mix of clever animation and video editing to bring forth a clean "breaking of fourth dimensional wall" bit was fun to see. The visual effects and the animated hearts plushies were so cute and added to the weird and funny videography. They had a costume-y theme going on as it is Halloween Month and it was executed very well to tell a story. The dancing was amazing and they did not leave any crumbs behind.

Breaking of fourth wall v2
Image by Stray Kids on YouTube

Animated Heart Plushies
Image by Stray Kids on YouTube


Favorite Member:

Seungmin
Image via Tumpik 

Seungmin's vocals caught my immediate attention, and I was engulfed by his pure  honey-like vocals. The last chorus, being my favorite part, is attributed to him singing half of it, and my decision is final. He looked so cute this comeback too, with the pink highlights, and he broke into my bias lists because of this comeback. Seungmin just strolling into the frame to rewind us back to the final chorus was so funny and cute at the same time that I wanted to give him the biggest hug.

Rating:
Music
Catchyness: 10/10
Production: 9/10
Vocals: 9/10

Video
Theme: 10/10
Wardrobe: 10/10
Video Editing: 10/10
Dance: 10/10

Overall Rating: 9.7/10
Grade: A+ 

Comments

Popular Posts